Required security profile permissions: Skills Edit
Call Progress Analysis (CPA) determines whether your outbound call reached a live contact or an answering machine, fax machine, or modem. You can modify how Personal Connection PC reacts when it determines these outcomes. For instance, you can choose whether to leave a message, and what message to play, when PC reaches an answering machine.
- Abandon Timeout
- Defines the time in seconds after the end of the contact's initial greeting before PC considers the call abandonedCall that enters the contact center system, but the caller ends the call before reaching an agent..
- Abandon Message Path
- When PC dials more than one call per agent, sometimes more than one contact answers and PC must assign the call to a different agent. If no other agents are available within the Abandon Timeout Value, PC considers the call abandonedCall that enters the contact center system, but the caller ends the call before reaching an agent.. This setting defines the action PC takes when this occurs. Choose either Play Message or Execute Custom Script. If you choose Play Message, click Browse to select a .wavWAVeform audio file; used to store audio bitstreams such as call recordings. file containing the message. If you choose Execute Custom Script, PC runs the custom script you set as you created the skill.
- Call Progress Analysis
Defines the process PC uses to determine whether the contact is a live person or an answering machine or other tones. Choose from:
- Classify — PC evaluates between a live conversation and a fax tone. It does not use answering machine detection.
- Classify with Answering Machine Detection — PC evaluates between a live conversation and answering machine or fax tone. If it does not detect an answering machine, the options configured under Answering Machine Detection Options apply.
- Answering Machine Detection Options
Becomes available when you choose Classify with Answering Machine Detection for Call Progress Analysis, and specifies how PC should handle answering machines. You can set a default action and set alternate actions to occur based on the attempt number. When you click Add Exception, you must choose which attempt should have a different action from the default. Valid options include Attempt 1 through Attempt 5 and Attempt 6+, which is the sixth attempt and all subsequent attempts.
- End Call and Disposition Automatically — PC ends the call and automatically sets an answering machine dispositionResult that the agent or system assigns to the contact when the interaction ends..
- Play Message — Takes the call away from the agent and waits for the appropriate moment to play the specified message. Can also be used with an agentlessContacts made without a live agent for tasks such as one-way delivery of information or messages.. setup. Click Browse to select a .wavWAVeform audio file; used to store audio bitstreams such as call recordings. file containing the message.
- Execute Custom Script (with Agent) — Provides the option to include the agent in the handling of the answering machine. If this option is used with all attempts, the recommended approach is to turn off answering machine detection and build the experience using the OnAnswer branch in Studio.
- Execute Custom Script (no Agent) — When detecting an answering machine, invokes a custom script that delivers a message, menu structure, or other experience. Use this approach if you want to customize the answering machine experience. PC executes the custom script you set up when you created the skill without an agent on the line.
- Treat Process as Ringing
- If the telephony carrier is not reliably delivering ring messages, this enables PC to treat the earlier SIPSession Initiated Protocol; used for signaling and controlling multimedia communication sessions such as voice and video calls. progress messages as a sign of ringing. It can assist with delivering the ring to the agent so she is prepared to take the call when connected. This can negatively impact the agent's experience in some cases, so you should discuss this setting with your account manager before enabling it.
- Pre-Connect CPA Enabled
- Enables the system to hone the CPA by delivering fast busy and voice intercept messages and ringing. You might consider this option if SIP and ISDN signaling are not sufficient to deliver the ring to an agent at the appropriate time. This setting can negatively impact the agent's experience in some cases, so you should discuss this setting with your account manager before enabling it.
- Agent Override Options
- Enables agents using this skill to press a button to indicate a number is a fax machine, answering machine, or a bad number, overriding automatic detection. The bad number option is only available when you have enabled Treat Process as Ringing or Pre-Connect CPA Enabled.
- Answering Machine Override Seconds
- Determines how long the Answering Machine button is available for agents to click to quickly dispose of answering machines delivered for agent handling. The default value is 10 seconds for new skills, which allows for about 7 seconds after answering machine detection for the agent to dispose of calls.
Answering Machine Detection Tuning
These parameters come configured with best practice settings. If you experience issues with answering machine detection or message timing, contact your account manager to see whether adjustments are needed. You should not alter these settings without such assistance.
- Utterance Minimum
- Minimum duration of time in seconds that PC must detect sound on the line for it to determine the source is the contact or the agent. PC defines a conversation as any agent utterance over the minimum value. If it does not detect a conversation, PC considers the destination to be an answering machine.
- Customer Live Silence
- Duration of customer silence in seconds required after PC has detected utterance to continue classifying the call. The value should be short so that the contact does not have the opportunity to say "hello?" a second time.
- Machine Minimum with Agent
- Duration of time in seconds that the contact must speak before PC determines whether the contact is live or an answering machine. The value should try to balance long messages like "Thank you for calling the Death Star. We are sorry we are unable to take your call. Please leave a message and we will return your call" and simple messages like "Hi, this is Darth Vader. Leave a message."
- Machine Minimum without Agent
- Duration of time in seconds that the contact has to say something before PC determines the call is an answering machine. Setting this value lower than Machine Minimum with Agent could reduce the possibility of abandonment.
- Machine End Silence
- If PC does not detect a beep tone, this is the duration of silence in seconds PC waits after a machine message finishes before playing the answering machine message. If it detects a beep tone, the system plays the message immediately.
- Machine End Timeout
- Duration of time in seconds the answering machine message can continue without finishing before classifying the call as an answering machine. If it exceeds this amount of time, PC may have reached an IVRInteractive Voice Response; an automated phone menu that allows callers to interact through voice commands, key inputs, or both, to obtain information, route an inbound voice call, or both..
- Agent Response Minimum
- This value no longer applies. Use Utterance Minimum instead.
- Agent No Response Duration
- Minimum duration of time in seconds that the agent must be silent on the line to classify the call as an answering machine. When an agent speaks for at least the Utterance Minimum, PC will not classify the call as an answering machine. The number should be long enough to ensure that the agent can tell he is not connected to a live contact but short enough to reduce the number of answering machine calls being classified as live due to noise on the agent's line.
- Agent Voice Threshold
- Defines the threshold for detection of the agent's voice against background noise.
- Customer Voice Threshold
- Defines the threshold for detection of the contact's voice against background noise.
- Pre-Connect CPA Recording
- Captures voice patterns during the CPA process for further analysis.
- Enable CPA Logging
- Logs additional events for further analysis.
- File Name
- The path to and the file name of the sound file you want to use for answering machine messages.